Checklist for viewing a property
Things to consider
- Does the area have the local amenities you might need?
- Schools and child care
- Public transport
- Food and entertainment
- Are there any local council planning changes or planned infrastructure developments in the near future?
- How long will it take you to travel to work?
Inside the property
- Check what is included – carpets, curtains, blinds, light fittings, air conditioning, heating and any appliances
- Are there enough bedrooms and bathrooms?
- What is the condition of the electrical wiring?
- Does the plumbing work?
- Are walls, ceilings and floors in good condition?
- Is the kitchen in good condition?
- Do all the windows and doors open and close?
- Is there enough storage space?
- Is there space for your fridge, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer?
Outside the property
- Is there off-street parking?
- Is the building structurally sound?
- Are there signs of damp around the house (eg bubbling paint, a musty smell)?
- What is the condition of paintwork, windows, fences, gardens, roof and guttering
- Is it possible to extend the property in the future?
- How much northerly sunlight does it get?
- Is there external noise from traffic, trains, planes
Use our checklist when inspecting properties so you can compare the pros and cons. Happy house hunting!